amiskwaciy Academy was designed to offer exciting enrichment programming for junior high and high school students in a respectful, safe environment At Amiskwaciy, we recognize that all beings are connected and our teaching styles and learning opportunities reflect this belief. Our Elder’s teachings, our community partners, family involvement, and a committed teaching staff provide a holistic learning environment.
We believe at Amiskwaciy Academy that our school philosophy is demonstrated best through our harmonious communal approach to learning.
Founding Elders Code of Ethics
Each morning upon rising and each evening before sleeping give thanks for the life within you and for all life, for the good things the Creator has given you and others, and for the opportunity to grow a little more each day. Consider your thoughts and actions of the past day and seek for the courage and strength to be a better person. Seek for those things that will benefit everyone.
- Respect. Respect means to “feel or show honour or esteem for someone or something, to consider the well-being of someone, or to treat someone or something with deference or courtesy.” Showing respect is the basic law of life:
- Treat every person from the tiniest child to the oldest Elder with respect at all times.
- Special respect should be given to Elders, parents, teachers and community Elders.
- No person should be made to feel “put down” by you; avoid hurting other hearts as you would avoid a deadly poison.
- Touch nothing that belongs to someone else, especially sacred objects, without permission or an understanding between both of you.
- Respect the privacy of every person. Never intrude on a person’s quiet moments or personal space.
- Never walk between two people who are conversing.
- Never interrupt people who are conversing
- Speak in a soft voice, especially when you are in the presence of Elders, strangers and others to whom special respect is due.
- Do not speak, unless invited to do so, at gatherings where Elders are present except to ask what is expected of you should you be in doubt.
- Never speak about others in a negative way, whether they are present or not.
- Treat the earth and all her aspects as your mother. Show deep respect for the mineral world, the plant world and the animal world.
- Show deep respect for the beliefs and religions of others.
- Listen with courtesy to what others say, even if you feel that what they are saying is worthless. Listen with your heart.
- Respect the wisdom of the people and council. Once you give an idea to a council meeting it no longer belongs to you; it belongs to the people.
- Be truthful at all times and under all conditions.
- Always treat your guests with honour and consideration. Give your best food, your best blankets, the best part of your house and your best services to your guests.
- The hurt of one is the hurt of all; the honor of one is the honor of all.
- Receive strangers and outsiders with a loving heart and as members of the human family.
- All the races and tribes in the world are like the different colored flowers of our meadow. All are beautiful. As children of the Creator they must all be respected.
- To service others, to be of some use to the family, community, nation or the world is one of the main purposes for which human beings have been created. Do not fill yourself with your own affairs and forget your most important task. True happiness comes only to those who dedicate their lives to the service of others.
- Observe moderation and balance in all things.
- Know those things that lead to your well-being and those things that lead to your destruction.
- Listen to and follow the guidance given to your heart.