Honouring the Past and Embracing the Future
amiskwaciy Academy offers regular academic programming just like most schools in Alberta. Our students can expect to work towards their individual academic goals and prepare themselves for post secondary learning. Students are streamed accordingly to ensure that they are successful. We are also offering Knowledge and Employability Programming in the Fall of 2021.
Aboriginal Studies classes are also now available for all grades. We currently have a Cree Language and Culture Program in High School, which will be offered to all grades in the near future. amiskwaciy Academy offers many opportunities throughout the year for traditional elder teachings, knowledge keeper teachings, Indigenous ceremonies, and cultural showcases. Our students learn to honour the past, embrace the future, and be proud of who they are.
Founding Elders Code of Ethics
Each morning upon rising and each evening before sleeping give thanks for the life within you and for all life, for the good things the Creator has given you and others, and for the opportunity to grow a little more each day. Consider your thoughts and actions of the past day and seek for the courage and strength to be a better person. Seek for those things that will benefit everyone.
- Respect. Respect means to “feel or show honour or esteem for someone or something, to consider the well-being of someone, or to treat someone or something with deference or courtesy.”
- Respect the wisdom of the people and council. Once you give an idea to a council meeting it no longer belongs to you; it belongs to the people.
- Be truthful at all times and under all conditions.
- Always treat your guests with honour and consideration. Give your best food, your best blankets, the best part of your house and your best services to your guests.
- The hurt of one is the hurt of all; the honor of one is the honor of all.
- Receive strangers and outsiders with a loving heart and as members of the human family.
- All the races and tribes in the world are like the different colored flowers of our meadow. All are beautiful. As children of the Creator they must all be respected.
- To service others, to be of some use to the family, community, nation or the world is one of the main purposes for which human beings have been created. Do not fill yourself with your own affairs and forget your most important task. True happiness comes only to those who dedicate their lives to the service of others.
- Observe moderation and balance in all things.
- Know those things that lead to your well-being and those things that lead to your destruction.
- Listen to and follow the guidance given to your heart.